There are so many reasons why switching to bamboo toothbrushes is better than plastic ones but the most obvious for me is that over 7 billion people in the world brush their teeth using a disposal plastic toothbrush. These people go through several toothbrushes a year which means a huge waste in our oceans and landfills, bamboo toothbrushes stop this bad scenario.
Why Bamboo instead of plastic?
Compared to plastic bamboo helps to reduce the carbon footprint. This is because bamboo is biodegradable, furthermore bamboo plants grow quickly, do not need a lot of care and grow without fertilizer or pesticides.
You can compost the handles of bamboo toothbrushes if you first remove the nylon bristles. Remember that boar hair bristles tend to be rougher than nylon ones, and hard bristles can cause wear on your enamel and contribute to receding gums.
Advantages of using bamboo for personal care products:
- Sustainable. It is renewable and bamboo forests can be grown in a few years.
- Its naturally waxy surface does not require painting; making it safe from health hazards caused by paints (they contain toxic substances).
- Bamboo can be smoked in its own resin making its surface impenetrable to insects thereby protecting it from insect infestation.
- Pesticides and other chemicals need not be used while cultivating bamboo making it more ecofriendly.
- Pollution is also reduced with bamboo cultivation as the plants reduce up to 35% carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and produce more oxygen.
- It does not have any disposal problems, once you remove the nylon bristles you can compost it or use the handles as plant makers.
- The roots in bamboo help control soil erosion as it creates a water barrier. Developing countries use bamboo to protect their crops and villages from washing away.
- Bamboo consumes high quantities of nitrogen and this can help reduce water pollution.
- Bamboo is a natural antimicrobial. This means bacteria won´t grow in your hanadle